Thursday, February 20, 2014

Welcome!

Hi all!

I started this blog to keep everyone informed and involved with the work I'm doing in graduate school. While mainly geared towards friends and family, I hope that others will also find this work relevant and interesting.


Project Overview & Meet the Team
I am currently in graduate school at San Francisco State University. Specifically, I am an Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation Biology major in the Lab of Avian Parasitology within the Department of Biology. My advisor is Dr. Ravinder Sehgal, who is not only an extremely knowledgable and connected researcher but also happened to work with my undergraduate ornithology professor from UCLA, Dr. Tom Smith. Small world!

In general my lab focuses on the blood parasites of birds, mainly avian (bird) malaria . This encompasses many topics ranging from DNA sequencing to large-scale effects of deforestation. For my project, I'll be studying the effects of avian malaria on bird song, specifically in a common bird called the white-crowned sparrow.

Here's me with a white-crown:


I'll go into the details of my project in a following blog post but first I want to introduce the other members of my lab:


From left to right:
- Brett, studying how avian malaria parasites bind to bird blood cells
- Me
- Allison, studying avian malaria's effects on migration in thrushes
- Ravinder, runs the lab!
- Brad, studying genes and related products of avian malaria
- Elvin, studying the patterns of how birds and their parasites diversify together
- Dave, studying the community of parasites present in local songbirds



One last note is that I've added a donation button on the right sidebar. Graduate school and the associated field and laboratory work can get expensive. Any contributions would help me immensely in my academic pursuit and would obviously be incredibly appreciated.





With that concluding note, welcome to my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment